I’m going to open this post with – How to stop your Facebook ads and remove credit cards and paypal as the payment method.
Log into Facebook
On the left side you will see Apps – Ads. Click on Ads.
Look for Settings on the left and click on that.
FB will ask for your password again.
Near the top of the page you will see your Account ID. Under that is a blue link to Close Ads Account. Click that.
A box will pop up asking why you want to close your ads account. Complete that.
** Note – your campaign needs to be done. Edit the settings, dates, etc. to end your campaign. You most likely will not be able to close until your campaign is ended AND your payments have been made to FB.
Once you have completed the closing steps above you will need to wait a couple days to see if your payment method has been removed from Facebook. *** This is also how to remove payment methods from Facebook. ***
After waiting a couple days – log back into Facebook
On the top right click to Account – then Account Settings.
Then look to the left side and find “Payments” – click that
In the menu you will see Payment Methods – click the blue ‘Manage’ link
Once you have successful ended your ads you should be able to remove all of the payment methods connected to your account. As long as you have an app, game, or ad running that requires a payment, you won’t be able to remove all payment methods. Follow the instructions above to end and close your ads. Click around for similar methods to leave games and apps.
** Another note – Facebook is changing all the time. Apps come and go and each one will have a different process. These instructions may be outdated quickly. Sorry.
.. If you have given FB your Paypal or credit card information here is another way to sever the relationship. The detailed instructions below will make it so Facebook cannot take money from Paypal. I assume you can follow similar steps for your credit card.
- Log into your Paypal account.
- View your transactions.
- Look at your payment history and find the line that shows a payment to Facebook
- There will be a blue link saying “Details” that appears to the right of the word “Completed”
- Click on the word “Details”
- A new window will open showing the transaction details
- On this page you should see “Billing description: Facebook Payments” (make sure you are viewing a Facebook transaction)
- Just below that is a link stating “View Billing Agreement Details”
- Click on that.
- A new page will open.
- Near the top you’ll see “Status = Active” Click the words that cancel the relationship. (Since I’ve already canceled the relationship I don’t know exactly what is says.)
- Log out of Paypal.
- Close your browser. (Whenever you are viewing financial info you should close out your Internet browser completely and pull up a fresh session.)
After I completed these steps, I received an email from Paypal confirming the relationship had been ended and that FB will not be able to charge my paypal account anymore. I am uncomfortable having financial information stored in FB. It seems Facebook wants you to keep a primary payment method in the system.
If you have been playing farmville, zooland, or any other game you may be facing the same issue. The detailed steps above will help those of you with Paypal. Facebook will not be able to charge your Paypal account.
I assume if you have given Facebook your credit card information there are similar steps you can take online to end the relationship. Poke around and give it a try.
If I have helped you in any way please consider doing any of your regular Amazon shopping through one of my links.